Many women say they'd love a makeover, but can't justify spending the money for one. So it seems like a gift certificate for a makeover would make the perfect gift, right? Unfortunately, such a gift can certainly be perceived wrongly - the recipient may wonder what you're trying to tell her. (I know I'd think that WAY). No one wants to be told they need a makeover. Um, it's just rude! So, how can you give a gift certificate for a makeover and do it discreetly?
Here are some tips
1. Make it Non-Specific - If you want to be discreet, make the gift certificate something fairly ambiguous, like a day at a local spa. Don't, for example, get her a gift certificate for cellulite treatment or a wrinkle-smoothing facial. That sends too much of a "you need to improve this feature" message. Instead, let it be her choice.
2. Pampering, Not Fixing - When you give the gift certificate, make it clear that it's about pampering, not fixing flaws. Pedicures, manicures, and hair salon gift certificates can be given with a sense that it's something she can do for herself. A gift certificate for a massage is also a good way to go - a massage will make her feel better, and when a woman feels better, she very well might go get her hair and face done on her own.
3. Leave Weight Out of It - This is just about always a mistake. You just can't give a gift certificate to a diet program or gym membership without sending a "you're too fat" message. So when it comes to makeovers, leave weight out of the equation.
4. Do It Together - Why not get yourself involved in the makeover as well? It's a bit more tasteful if you include yourself in the "needs improvement" camp. And besides, you can make it a fun time to bond. And if the makeover involves a new wardrobe, this can be a great time to be encouraging about how good she looks in this or that. And don't forget - you're doing this together, so it's not you telling her what to do or how to look. Both of you can get in on it and have fun together.
Also, the one way you can give her a gym membership is if you do it with her. Not only will it be more fun, but it's a chance for you to both get in shape together. It shows her you're not afraid to admit you need some exercise, too.
5. Tie It to an Event - Maybe a party is coming up, or some other event. If you give a gift certificate with that event in mind, then the makeover will have a purpose. For example, if her friend's wedding is coming up, she might like an hour with a makeup specialist who can not only prepare her for the event, but also give her some tips and techniques for her to do her own makeup.